Minor in Creative Writing
The Minor in Creative Writing offers a structured environment in which students interested in writing fiction or poetry develop their skills while receiving an introduction to literary forms. Students may choose a concentration in either fiction or poetry.
In order to graduate with a Minor in Creative Writing, students must complete the following three courses plus three courses in either the prose or poetry tracks. Courses counted towards the requirements for the Minor may not be applied to student's Major requirements. 30 units are required. All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- English 90 Fiction Writing OR English 91 Creative Nonfiction
- English 92 Reading and Writing Poetry
- English 94 Introduction to Creative Writing: Form and Structure
Three courses specifically designed for either the prose OR poetry concentration.
- English 146 - Development of the Short Story
- Choose one: English 190, 190F, 190G, 190P, 190R, 190V, OR 191
- English 190 - Intermediate Fiction Writing (taken for a second quarter) OR English 290 Advanced Fiction Writing
- English 160 Poetry & Poetics
- Choose one: English 192, 192P, OR 192V
- English 192 - Intermediate Poetry Writing (taken for a second quarter) OR English 292 - Advanced Poetry Writing
NOTE: Students will only be approved as Creative Writing Minors AFTER completion of English 90 or 92. For more information, contact the Creative Writing Program Administrator, at 725-1208.