The minor in English Literature offers some flexibility for those students who want to pursue specific interests within British and American literature, while still requiring certain courses that ensure coverage of a variety of periods, genres, and methods of studying literature.
Requirements—In order to graduate with a minor in English, students must complete the following program of seven 5-unit courses, at least one of which must be a seminar, for a total of 35 units:
Required Courses for the Minor—
- Two of the three Methodology courses
- ENGLISH 160. Poetry and Poetics ( 5 units)
- ENGLISH 161. Narrative and Narrative Theory (5 units)
- ENGLISH 162. Critical Methods (5 units)
- Two of the three Historical courses
- ENGLISH 100A. Literary History I (5 units)
- ENGLISH 100B. Literary History II (5 units)
- ENGLISH 100C. Literary History III (5 units)
Elective Courses for the Minor—
- Three elective courses from those offered in the English department, only one of which may be a course in Creative Writing.
Students must declare the Minor no later than two quarters prior to their intended quarter of degree conferral, e.g., Autumn declaration for Spring conferral. To declare, follow the instructions in Axess for declaring a minor. Completed declaration forms are transmitted electronically to the department for approval; the student receives an on-line copy. Once the application had been approved, students will be e-mailed a notice of confirmation.
As many as two English courses may be transferred from an accredited and approved university and applied towards the English Minor in the appropriate areas. Students must also submit a Request for Course Equivalence form to the Director of Undergraduate Studies for approval in order to receive credit.
One credit/no credit course OR one three-unit course, which has already been taken, may be applied to the Minor. Courses counted towards the requirements for the Minor may not be applied to the student's Major requirements.
The Director of Undergraduate Studies is available to answer general queries that cannot be answered by the Peer Advisors or the Undergraduate Coordinator.
Creative Writing Minor
Information on the Creative Writing minor can be found here.